12 years of Virat Kohli in Numbers
A poem without the essence of cadence and rhythm would read as monotonous and unrealistic. Exquisite cover drives, square drive, pull, leg glance, wristy flick, and square-cut; Virat Kohli makes batting look like poetry in motion. There are very few in the sport who thrive in tough predicaments that entail herculean effort. From the Hobart innings to the Mohali spectacle, Virat has essayed innumerable match-winning knocks for India.
Let us take a look at some of the staggering numbers.
The Aussie ascendancy
MS Dhoni had once remarked during the T20I series: "By the time he (Virat) ends his career, quite a few Australian grounds will have a stand named after him."
The statistics bear testimony of the dominance he has asserted over the Aussies.
Virat Kohli has always favoured playing against the formidable Australian outfit. He has piled 4,098 runs in 75 matches, garnering 15 centuries and 18 half-centuries across all formats.
The Meteoric rise
If one needs an illustration of perseverance, dedication and consistent hard work, then one need not look beyond Virat Kohli. Since making his debut in 2008, Virat has taken giant strides in international cricket, scoring 21,901 runs in 460 innings at an average of 47.61 - He is also the first batsman to achieve 20,000 runs in a decade.
Breakdown of runs scored in different countries
Out of the total aggregate of 21,901 runs, the skipper has constituted 57.65% of runs in the subcontinent. However, the numbers also augur well for Virat Kohli in the SENA countries.
He has scored a total of 7,411 runs in 165 innings at an average of 44.91.
2016 - A year to recall
Runs: 2595 | Innings: 41 | Average: 63.29
In 2016, Virat Kohli was at his impeccable best, averaging 63.29 with the willow. After having clearly taken the ownership of India's top
order, the skipper averaged over 70 in all the three formats.
Some notable records scripted by Kohli
- Fastest batsman to score 20,000 runs in International cricket. He took just 416 innings to accomplish the feat.
- Fastest batsman to reach 8000 runs(175 innings), 9000 runs (194 innings), 10,000 runs(205 innings) and 11,000 runs(222 innings) in
- ODI cricket.
- Virat Kohli has registered 26 ODI tons while chasing - most by any batsman in the world.
- With 33 Test wins, Virat Kohli is the most successful Indian Test captain.
- In the 2019 World Cup, he became the first captain to score 5 consecutive half-centuries in a World Cup.
- Virat Kohli has scored 7 double centuries in Test Cricket - Most by an Indian batsman in the longest format.
- He is also the highest run-getter in T20Is - 2794 runs in 76 innings.
- In 2018, Virat Kohli scored 558 runs in the six-match ODI series against Proteas (2018) - the most by a batsman in a bilateral series.